Hi! I think you have heard the term of “blog” and you want to know what blogs are all about. Well you’ve come to the right place. In this series of articles we will take you from asking what a blog is to having all the knowledge you need to start a blog of your own.
Over the months and years you will be able to share your thoughts with hundreds or thousands of readers, promote yourself, your business or your cause and you may even earn a full time living from your blog.
Let’s begin with some definitions. First we’ll define the word this whole site is based around – blog.
A blog is a frequently updated online personal journal or diary. It is a place to express yourself to the world. A place to share your thoughts and your passions. Really, it’s anything you want it to be. For our purposes we’ll say that a blog is your own website that you are going to update on an ongoing basis. Blog is a short form for the word weblog and the two words are used interchangeably.
‘Blog’ is a very familiar word to us. Here I am giving you an easy definition of the word ‘blog’.
· The word ‘blog’ originally came from the word “weblog” or a “web log”.
· It is as like an ‘online journal’ or ‘a written informational diary’.
· A ‘blogger’ is a man who blogs, or writes content for a blog.
· ‘Blogging’ is the act of writing a post for a blog.
Now I want to clarify this terminology elaborately.
· A blog is a kind of website that has posts in reverse sequential order.
· Blogs have a history or an archive of previous blog posts.
· Generally, Blog posts are written with the most recent topic of the world.
· A blog is normally updated frequently and regularly, although there are some who are considered “slow bloggers”.
· Blogs may also have other areas of content and links to other websites.
· Blogs typically have an area for people to comment or respond to the blog post.
· Blogs can have individual authors or be a collection of authors.
If you’d like to complete your education of what a blog is then you can read some of the following “advanced” definitions:
· A blog is a collection of content that is organized repetitively.
· A blog typically focuses on a particular subject matter.
· A blog can be built by hand, manually through writing the post, uploading to a website, and then publishing.
· A blog typically can be read in a number of different formats including the homepage, single post page, categories, tags, and also via RSS and other such syndication technologies.
· Readers and visitors can subscribe to the blog so that they can consume the content in a variety of different means, tools, devices, and applications.
· A blog today could take the form of microblogging (like Twitter, Posterous, Tumblr), vblogging (video blogging), and more which can focus on a particular type of content or technology.
Blog (noun) – a journal or diary that is on the Internet.
Blogger (noun) – a person who keeps a blog – Bloggers are revolutionizing the way news is shared.
Blog (verb) – to write a blog – I am going to blog before breakfast this morning.
Blogging (verb) – the action of writing a blog – Blogging is my way of sharing my passions with the world.
Originally blogs were known primarily as places for people to write about their day-to-day activities. Their mundane, everyday tasks became fodder for journal entries. Somehow these writers gained a following and the hobby of blogging was born. Today people write about far more interesting topics. But we’ll get to that in a minute.